Monday, October 22, 2007

A reciprocal encounter

Today while at the parking lot of Food 4 Less I had a somewhat strange yet enlightening encounter. As i closed my trunk I turned around and I saw a man walking towards me. Walking over to my car I could see him fumbling for some kind of paper in his bag. I was wondering to myself "Oh great, what is it this guy is trying to sell?"

Out of his bag appeared a news journal. Smiling he looked at me and said, "You look like you could use something positive" and handed me a journal with the title "Is God responsible for natural disasters?" I examined the journal and began to notice that this was a publication for Jehova's witnesses. This man was spreading what he believed to be important information on how to change your life and be a better person. I kindly accepted the journal and said thank you.

As he turned around to leave I stopped him and said "Wait!! I have something positive to give you as well". A sharp turn and quick grab I reached into my car and pulled out an '08ingchange sticker. I handed it to him, he looked at it with a crunched up brow and said, "what is this?" I replied, "08ingchange". In an instant his face lit up and he let out a load laugh. At that very moment the two of us knew we were experiencing something unique. While our ideas of change were different, we were still on the same page that a little communication and a little reaching out can sometimes go a long way.

No comments: